Historic Sites Survey: Final
Projects Report, June 1996
, like Corson, was established as a station on the
and Sioux Falls Railroad and platted in 1888.
Located approximately 25 miles northeast of
state line, the town was named for E.A. Sherman, one of the directors of the
Building of the community began immediately with the opening of a general
store and post office. By the turn
of the century, there were two general stores, a hardware store, a drugstore, a
blacksmith shop, and three grain elevators.
The town continued to grow for several years and eventually included five
grain elevators, a passenger depot, the post office, a large two-story
mercantile, two grocer stores, a hardware store, a drug store, a lumber yard,
meat markets, a millinery shop, a pool hall, a saloon, five cafes, a harness and
variety store, a blacksmith shop, a hotel, a firehall, an implement dealer, a
car dealer, a gas station, two churches, a school, and several residences.
There little is left of the business community and the number of
residents has dwindled. A number of
things have contributed to
ís demise. Fire has taken its
toll. Over time, each of the
elevators burned but only one was rebuilt. In
1933, a devastating fire destroyed nearly an entire block of businesses in the
town center. When passenger rail
service was discontinued, the depot was torn down.
Consolidation and a drop in the number of students resulted first in the
demolition of the 1911 wooden portion of the school, and later, the abandonment
of the 1925 brick addition. One of
the churches left town. The last
burial in the
was in 1932. The post office was
Today, only one elevator, a honey processing plant, an antique store, a
small convenience store, and a firehall/townhall comprise the business district.
still conducts services. And a
number of families, who rely upon services and goods from Garretson, Dell Rapids
, still call